a tale of two hearts

lessons from my 20's

So tonight's the last night I lay my head on the pillow as a 20 something year old. I'm assuming tomorrow I'll wake up a little older and wiser - ha! Either that or I'll wake up wanting to rush out and buy hair dye to hide all those new grey hairs!!

So to celebrate the exit from this last decade I thought I'd get all reflective and sentimental and write out 20 lessons from my 20's.

What I've learned from my 20's...
  1. Save your pennies in your 20's!! Soo thankful for every penny saved in my early 20's it's made life a whole lot more comfortable now.
  2. Be picky and marry well. It's one of the few decisions you'll make in life that will impact the quality of each and every day for the rest of your life.
  3. Find a shade of lipstick that works for you, it's the quickest and easiest way to feel dressed up.
  4. Tweezers are your friend - you're meant to have two eyebrows not one!
  5. Some people won't like you. Like, really won't like you. They'll go out of their way to make your life a living nightmare. As hard as it may be, be thankful for these people because they'll grow and teach you more about your strength and resilience than a dozen lovely and kind people can.
  6. You won't build a career in a day but you will build one. Work hard and stay humble - always.
  7. Work isn't like school - there are no gold stickers handed out at the end of each day to tell you you're doing a great job and are on the right track. You have to learn to back yourself and trust your instincts. 
  8. Invest in appreciating assets, materially and relationally.
  9. Jesus is the real deal - not just some nice theoretical concept. Like He's real, real. Take Him for his word - this is the single best decision you'll ever make. Period.
  10. Travel is always worth it - always.
  11. Induced labour is awful (slight understatement, but I figure the appropriate words would require a few ** so I'll refrain from using those words).
  12. Life is hard sometimes, like really hard, like awful, ugly and totally unfair. 
  13. Knowing how to find beauty in even the darkest and most hopeless circumstances is a skill you learn to master. This ability to see beauty is a gift not just for you but also for those around you, so be thankful for the awful, ugly and totally unfair circumstances that you've had to walk through to develop such skills. 
  14. Marriage forces you to press into what grace and forgiveness really mean.
  15. Motherhood is harder and more rewarding than any words could ever express.
  16. You are worth spoiling - deal with it and learn to expect it.
  17. Lies, big or small are ugly and only destroy things. They're not worthy of you, have nothing to do with them.
  18. You can't eat Nutella for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Sad but true. 
  19. Exercise is not an optional extra - turns out it's essential if you want to be able to function as a grown up.
  20. You think you're dreams are silly and unconventional - they are. Variety is the spice of life. Be confident, back yourself and go for them cause they're yours.
And here I am as a 21 year old on our honeymoon - yeah I may be turning 30 tomorrow but somethings never change do they.

30's ready or not here I come!!